Call for Submissions: Art & Climate
Leonardo Art & Climate project: http://www.olats.org/fcm/artclimat/artclimat_eng.php
The Leonardo Lovely Weather Art and Climate Project and Leonardo Publications are inviting papers, special issue proposals and book proposals that deal with artistic approaches to weather, climate and their modifications.
As a result of massive urbanization and the development of the modern lifestyle, it has been possible to observe a deterioration of sensitivity to meteorology and climate. The existence of weather and climate is similar to that of landscape which does not exist in nature without the mind to perceive it as such. The perception of weather and climate, as well as that of landscape is the perception of an arrangement, a configuration of the real. Weather and climate are thus multidimensional phenomenons that include the combined contributions of nature, culture, history and geography, but also the imaginary and the symbolic. Art could help us to question our perceptions and relationships to weather, climate and their changes.
Leonardo seeks to document the works of artists, researchers, and scholars involved in the exploration of weather and climate, and is soliciting texts for Leonardo, Leonardo Transactions, special issue proposals for the Leonardo Electronic Almanac and book proposals for the Leonardo Book Series.
The following sub-themes have been defined (not restrictive):
– Environments: weather and climate works enabling new experiences of environments
– Meteorological and climate sciences: artworks questioning and linking to these sciences
– Weather and climate technologies: artworks questioning and linking to these technologies
– Social and political action: weather and climate works which may spur new thinking for action on environments
– Sustainability: artworks engaged in alternative energy resources or climate memories for example
– Weather and climate perceptions and/or narratives: poetical and/or political perceptions; narratives of weather and climate phenomena
The “Lovely Weather” Editorial group on Art & Climate is: John Cunningham, Annick Bureaud, Ramon Guardans, Drew Hemment, Julien Knebusch (coordinator), Roger Malina, Jacques Mandelbrojt, Andrea Polli and Janine Randerson.
A discussion on the topic, moderated by Janine Randerson is being held on the YASMIN network: http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin
Author instructions are available online:
http://leonardo.info/isast/journal/editorial/edguides.html (Roger Malina, Executive Editor)
http://www.leonardo-transactions.com/ (Ernest Edmonds, Editor-in-Chief)
Leonardo Electronic Almanac:
http://leoalmanac.org/cfp/calls.asp (Nisar Keshvani, Editor-in-Chief)
Leonardo Book Series:
http://leonardo.info/isast/leobooks/guidelines.html (Sean Cubitt, Editor-in-Chief)
Art & Climate Leonardo project: http://www.olats.org/fcm/artclimat/artclimat_eng.php
General Inquiries should be sent to Julien Knebusch at: